Minnesota State baseball is ranked No. 7 in the first NCAA Central Region rankings, as announced by the NCAA on Wednesday.
Minnesota State (27-10, 22-6 Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference), which is ranked No. 7 in the central region, is joined in the poll by fellow NSIC members Augustana (No. 2) and St. Cloud State (No. 8). Central Missouri, out of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association, is the No. 1 team in the rankings.
The NCAA Central Region is made up of 40 teams from the NSIC (15), the (MIAA) (13) and the Great American Conference (GAC) (12). Automatic bids are awarded to the tournament champions from each conference with the final five spots awarded on an at-large basis. In all, eight teams will advance to the NCAA Central Region Tournament played on May 17-21 at a site to be determined.
Minnesota State last split a four-game series against St. Cloud State on Sunday and Monday in Bemidji, Minn. The Mavericks are back in action for a four-game NSIC series against Augustana at Bowyer Field on Saturday and Sunday. Doubleheaders will be played on both days, beginning at 1:30 p.m., on Saturday and 12:00 p.m., on Sunday. Senior Day is being celebrated with an on-field ceremony prior to Sunday’s games.
RK. School (Conf) DII Rec In-Reg
1. Central Missouri (MIAA) 29-12 26-10
2. Augustana (NSIC) 29-2 29-2
3. Central Oklahoma (MIAA) 31-15 31-15
4. Pittsburg State (MIAA) 27-14 27-14
5. Arkansas-Monticello (GAC) 29-14 29-14
6. Southern Arkansas (GAC) 28-14 28-14
7. Minnesota State (NSIC) 26-9 22-6
8. St. Cloud State (NSIC) 21-9 21-9
9. Northwest Missouri State (MIAA) 25-17 25-17
10. Arkansas Tech (GAC) 25-17 25-17